Sunday, June 6, 2010

Crankbaits

This has been the year I have been investing more time into making my own lures. I have a few of the Yo Zuri Snap Bean lures, these are small crank baits with a mid mounted hanging treble. These lures work fairly well at enticing bluegills to strike, often far from their nests. I really like how the lures swim and act in the water. The problem I commonly have with this lure is that the bluegill often bites from the rear and completely misses the hook. If you inspect a bluegill you're looking into his mouth, the mouth is quite small. My take on this lure is a smaller shad body, but with one smaller hook. I carved from a dogwood twig a shad body and snaked a size 6 hook through the body. This has been working wonders. So far its colored silver with black along the dorsal area of the body. Another Yellow/Greenish or Firetiger color would have to be in the works soon.

The pictures are not so great, but the first one gives a size comparison from before finished. The second shows a crappie landed on a finished crank.

No comments:

Post a Comment